A one-day field exposure trip was organised for students of the Hospitality course at Gagillapuram HRD Centre. On 20 Sept, 2014, trainees were taken to Hotel Hampshire Plaza in Lakdikapul, Hyderabad. Hospitality trainer Ms.M Syamala and CE trainer Ms.K Priyatha Raj accompanied the group.
The visit began at 12 noon with an introduction to Mr.Ranjeet the HR Executive at Hotel Hampshire Plaza. After completing security formalities, the group of excited trainees were given an orientation on basic etiquettes followed in the presence of guests. They were then walked through various operational departments in the Hotel –
1. Housekeeping : The Supervisor explained the different roles this department played in maintaining good reputation of the hotel, ensuring the comfort of the guests while also taking care of the records and registers.
- Purchase and Stores department where students learned the ways of purchase and storing of different items.
- Engineering department where the head of the department explained how the department works.
- Food and Beverage production department where trainees seen different parts of the kitchen.
- Restaurant with a seating capacity of about100 covers where they serve buffet breakfast, lunch and dinner. Bar is also attached to the restaurant. F&B Manager of the hotel briefed the trainees on how to welcome guests, taking orders, importance of knowledge of food for a waiter and personal grooming.
- Room service department : How to receive phone calls from the guest and the procedure of taking order on the phone.
- Hotel lobby & Reception : Guest Relation Executive explained trainees about front office department, the importance of English language in hotel industry etc.
At the end of the trip, Mr. Ranjiet explained to the trainees that they have to work hard for 6 months and that they will get full support from the company. During this period, they will be given a stipend of Rs.500/-. He impressed on the trainees that without industrial training one cannot enter into the correct field of hotel management. We thanked each and every one for their cooperation for making the visit successful and returned back to institute.
– by K Priyatha Raj