Childrens Parliament - Year of Starting : 2013
Who are the Beneficiaries :
Children in over 150 communities in Telangana and Andhra Pradesh in the age group of 6-14.
Brief description of the project :
- Children’s Right to Participation is the focus of the project. “The neighborhood Children’s Parliament” is a forum for child participation
- Members of the Children’s Parliament, learn to express their opinion, on the development of the neighborhood, needs and problems of children
- The children develop a sense of ownership of their environment and think creatively to make the neighborhood a better place, involving elders of the community in their initiatives.
- Democratic values are practiced within the Parliament. The elected ministers and members adopt a democratic process in expressing opinions, arriving at a consensus and an executable resolution. They then approach the local authorities for support
- The Children’s Parliament is based on the nature of children who are selfless, sharing all with their friends, exhibiting non-stop enthusiasm, creativity and a spontaneous love of their village / neighborhood
- The Children’s Parliament will have immediate impact on the adults of the neighborhood and in the long term as the children grow up as participating citizens
- The parents are keen to send their children for “tuitions” which supplement the learning process in school. These are children from the neighborhood. We use these tuition centers to start neighborhood children’s Parliaments. Each parliament consists of around 30 children. The children attend daily tuitions – once a week Parliament meeting at the same venue
- The tuition masters / teachers are trained as Children Parliament animators